Friday 25 September 2015

Chalk Paint: The Cure All For Down and Out Furniture

Over the summer I had been itching to get rid of all my living room furniture and start again. I also want unlimited pizza every day and that hasn't happened either. So, rather than rob a bank to fund any new purchases, I knew I should look into giving some of the pieces a bit of a facelift.

I had a beat up, cheap, boring, laminated side table from Argos. All our living room furniture is currently Argos buys and I liked it at the time but 4-5 years on, I look at it and just go "What the hell was I thinking?" I have since learned that the answer to your bad furniture woes is: CHALK PAINT! Seriously. It just goes over everything so easily it makes doing a spot of DIY that much easier. If you have something that you're tired of looking at, give it a new look with chalk paint.

I'm pretty pleased with this piece as it looks a bit like white birch and that was what I was going for. Well, to be honest I had no idea what it was going to end up like but there's nothing like taking something that's a bit crap and making it a bit less crap.







Tools: Sand paper, Rustoleum chalk paint in Clotted Cream, Rustoleum furniture wax
Method: I didn't even bother to sand the table before applying the chalk paint. You probably could but this was a cheap piece of laminate furniture from Argos and it didn't seem worth it to put that much work into it. So I just wiped it down to ensure it was clean. Then I slapped on two coats of the paint, allowed to dry, and took my sandpaper and went to town distressing it. Easy peasy.
Props: Chalk heart coasters from Avon (really!)

No comments:

Post a Comment