Friday 2 October 2015

Creating A Workspace & DIY Studio Backdrop

I have created some samples of the products that I will be selling but to be honest, I haven't done nearly as many as I'd like or I should have and that's because for the longest time I've had no workspace. I started out with sitting on the floor in front of the TV, dodging the dog and the baby. It hurt my back and my knees and I kept screwing up: carpet is not for crafting! Also, TV is highly distracting. And the baby kept putting things in his mouth.








I have since created a temporary workspace in the spare bedroom. It's not perfect by any means. I'd like better storage for my supplies and a higher desk instead of my DIY coffee table as the main area for crafting. It's a bit blah, save for some fun solar lights hanging on the wall. However, it does include elements that I would/will include in my dream workspace, if I ever get it! I do have a Pinterest board that details how I'd like it look (more on that in another post!).

The only thing missing was an area to photograph my products because it is a fact that the key to getting your stuff noticed and sold: you NEED to have good pictures! They need to be bright, clear, packed with color and show off your item like it was in the spread of a high fashion magazine. I've not yet posted my work anywhere because it seems like the light in my house is just wrong, regardless of weather/time of day/area of the house.

After pinning away for a good hour the other night, I found a lovely post from the Maker Mama Craft Blog about a DIY Home Studio Back Drop. When I saw her set up I had a serious "AHA!" moment. Up in my closet was an old roll up blind that I have from Ikea. When we moved into our new home, we had no need for it so it was packed away and forgotten about.


The blind is just a simple roll up blind in cotton. 
It has this nifty plastic that slides through the bottom - helps
keep it weighted when being used a blind.

In this case, I rolled up the blind so that the height would
 be perfect for slipping the plastic rod into the crooks
 of the wardrobe handles - it worked perfectly. 
After a few adjustments, I flattened it out so
that it would rest perfectly on the floor.
That Ikea blind is getting a new lease on life and I'm on my way to better photographs. Win win.

Again, it's not perfect. I am going to iron it as I don't really like the wrinkles - I don't think they add to the aesthetic.
Has my DIY backdrop and studio allowed me to take professional, amazing photos? No, of course not! I still have a long way to go but I think this is a pretty good start. 

If you're looking for a quick and simple video tutorial for product photography, check out this one from Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment