Friday 8 January 2016

Meet The Makers: An Interview With Tight Trash Fashion

Hello and welcome to the very first instalment of Meet The Makers! Each week I'll be posting a new interview with a small business owner. This is a chance to meet new people, find new businesses to support and to get in a bit of networking. I really hope you'll join me each week! If you do miss an instalment, that's OK! Just find your way to the "Meet The Maker 2016" tab on the homepage - they'll all be listed there.




Our first maker this week is Jenn of Tight Trash Fashion who hand makes some of the most unique and funky fun jewellery I've ever seen. The skill and patience required for each piece (such as her hand painted shoes) is truly amazing!



Go on - introduce yourself!
My name is Jenn! I sometimes go by the name of GlumCandy (designer and creator of Tight Trash Fashion). I'm 28 years old from Liverpool. I have three cats who are like my babies as they're easier to take care of with a full time business. I live with my fiancĂ© Tom who is also my world. I am a very lucky lady with all my dreams coming true.

When did your business launch? What was the spark that led you to starting it?

I launched my business in 2010 and did it between jobs, my business got big in 2012 and I had to quit my day jobs. I have always been in dead end jobs and I have always been miserable. I had to start something that made me happy and it did just that!

Show us your work space! Do you have a shop? Strictly from home? Tell us about it!
I work from home, I have an 8 ft table for creating my jewellery and customizing my shoes. I love my little work space. I have just got my very first house that finally have enough space for everything I need to create.


What has been your favourite make so far? What’s been your most popular?
My favourite make so far is my ouija board necklace: 

  
  

        My most popular design is my horror hearts!

                                            
                          
  



How do you generate new ideas for items?
I usually get my best ideas late at night when I'm meant to be sleeping! I will get up and go sketch my ideas right away and then get working on it the following day. I am inspired by horror movies, bright colours and crazy fashion!


Describe/outline your typical day.
My typical day would be waking up around 7 by my kitten because she wants feeding. I'll go get myself a juice and head to the office, the music goes on and I get comfortable for a long day of creating. I go through my orders and work until 12 then have some sort of lunch,usually a ryvita as I'm dieting. I'll crack back on with work until around 4ish and then I'll network and respond to e-mails and wrap and post products in the evening.


What is/are your favourite(s) social media platform(s) to use for promoting your business?
My favourite social media platform is Instagram! Recently it's the only place you can be seen and not have to pay to get your products seen by your target audience! My Instagram username is: @GlumCandy


What are your hobbies - other than crafting of course!
When it's quiet which seems to be quite rare these days I game. I love gaming and it lets me escape from the world for a little bit. Other than that I do enjoy sticking on a horror movie while responding to e-mails or doing some networking.


What three pieces of advice do you have for someone wanting to start their own small business (and maybe advice you wish you’d had before starting)?
Starting up a business is not easy. You really have to make sure you can put your entire soul into it. I live and breathe Tight Trash Fashion. From the moment I wake up to the moment I attempt to go to sleep. My little business is my passion. You need to have an original idea and testing your audience is key before setting up.
I did so much research before setting up and I am lucky enough to be working alongside the Prince's Trust who are still giving me support in my business.


What are you dreams/goals/aspirations for your business?
My short term goals are to be featured in a magazine. I work with many big models in America and am hoping my products will get themselves into a magazine on these models.
I am hoping to get my makes in a few more shops in 2016.




Here are a few pictures of my work. I create alternative, quirky, handmade jewellery and customise shoes. My target is to create accessories to fit you and your personality. 

All of my products can be found on Etsy.


    

  

  

  


You can find Tight Trash Fashion here:
Facebook: Tight Trash Fashion
Twitter: @GlumCandy
Instagram: @GlumCandy
Pinterest: @GlumCandy
Etsy: Tight Trash

No comments:

Post a Comment