Friday 12 February 2016

Meet The Makers: Crafty What Nots



This week on meet the makers we meet Jenny, the creator and designer behind one of the coolest concepts out there: mystery craft boxes! There's nothing better than getting a bit of post but how great is it that you can sign up and know each month you'll receive a box filled with fabulous crafting items and tutorials?! Read on to find out more about Jenny!

Go on, introduce yourself!
Hi, my name is Jenny, I'm 39 and I live in beautiful Dorset with my partner and our three wonderful daughters. I am also a total craftaholic!  I caught the crafting bug at a very young age and tried so many different crafts and strangely enough, in varying forms, I still do many of them! I am the designer behind Crafty What Nots, the monthly mystery postal box.  I also run Jennysis where I do portraits and sell a variety of other crafty items. 



When did your business launch? What was the spark that led you to starting it?
I launched Jennysis back in 2014, I had planned to open up an online marketplace to give sellers a platform to sell their beautiful crafts.  My plans were slightly stunted by a new idea however which very quickly took over!  The monthly crafty box!  I had seen all sorts of monthly boxes and knew how popular they were in the US but I couldn't find one that was crafty enough for my tastes, I wanted one to contain several tutorials and some lovely craft materials.  I realised there was a gap in the market and that I could create boxes full of different tutorials. I set to work and launched my first box in October 2014. My first boxes were sent out to a few bloggers to review, then the next month the sales came in.  Each box contains a minimum of 2 tutorials which are in full colour. I also include all the materials needed to create the designs yourself as well as plenty of extras.  I also make a little gift for each of my customers. As time went on people were asking for special boxes for presents so I launched the One-off box, this is customised to the individual more and contains at least 3 tutorials. I now do 5 different types of boxes. The standard monthly, one-off, the 'Whatever' box (a box of luckily dip craft supplies), the Crafty kits (kits for particular crafts) and the 'Night Before Christmas' box (a crafty Christmas Eve box). I have loved creating these boxes and they have certainly kept my brain going, trying to design new tutorials all the time!



Show us your workspace! Do you have a shop? Strictly from home? Tell us about it!
I created a little video of my craft space (when it was actually tidy).


What has been your favourite make so far? What's been the most popular?
Ohhhh, do you know I really am not sure.  I turn over so many different crafts all the time with the boxes that it is hard to have a favourite, I love them all or I wouldn't do them.  When I am not doing boxes though I do love my more artistic pieces which I create for Jennysis, the portraits and paper cuts, Sometimes I just have to pick up a pencil...it's crucial!

How do you generate new ideas?
Pinterest is a great source for new ideas when it comes to thinking of new tutorials.  I rarely look at the tutorials themselves on there though, I try to work them out for myself and sometimes if I do look at them I adapt them to make them easier.  I also love the outdoors and derive all sorts of inspiration when out and about.



Describe your typical day.
I'm not sure I have a typical day, I would like to say I do X amount of social media followed by crafting.  In truth there is a lot of driving kids to various locations, sorting out work admin and then I get to craft.  I have a 6 month old who doesn't appreciate me crafting for too long and will stay awake all day to make sure I don't over do it!!!!  When it comes to designing boxes my general process is...
-Design the theme and create images to post on social media to let people know what the next month theme is.
-Plan tutorials and take sneak peek photos to post on social media.
-Design tutorials, taking photos of each and every step before writing them up ready to print.
-After the closing date (15th of each month) I then place orders for the stock I need for the boxes
-Start to design other things to photograph as inspiration. There is often loads of supplies left after the tutorials have been made so I like to offer ideas for what else they could make.
-Start to gather all the things for the boxes.
-Make the handmade gifts and cards.
-Pack boxes and send.

Each box generally overlaps so while I am doing the last few things I have already started the list again for the following month.



What are your favourite social media platforms for promoting your business?
I tend to use Facebook the most. I like to use Instagram as a behind the scenes platform, so there are selling items but also shots of things I have been up to. I have separate pages on Facebook for the boxes and the other crafty things but not on any platform, I post news about either on those.  I also blog and that is great fun, I have met some really lovely people by blogging and it is a great way for me to post about all sorts as well as lots of free tutorials.

What are your hobbies? Other than crafting of course!
As a family we all love visiting National Trust properties and often visit our local ones several times a year.  I love being outside and weekends are the best time to go out and explore!  I was very into geocaching but I havn't done much of that in the last year but I will be back!

What three pieces of advice do you have for someone wanting to start their own small business?
Don't give up!
Price what you are worth, not what you think people will pay!
Seek out like minded people, particularly ones who believe in you.  It is easy to feel disheartened and that you are wasting your time, you need support to help you through.  I find networking pages on Facebook have been wonderful in this as well.

What are your dreams and goals for your business?
I would love to be creating enough boxes to fully support my family.  One day, when people think of crafty kits they will think of Crafty What Nots!

You can find Crafty What Nots by clicking the links below!

1 comment: