Monday 26 October 2015

Forget The Dream Journal!

One of my biggest concerns about launching One Little Chickadee was that I would only have about 4 ideas for items and that was it. Even though there are plenty of business out there that specialize in a few products (and do it *really* well) I didn't want to get stuck and then feel like, well, who's going to keep coming back for more if all they keep seeing are the same 4 things?

I'm happy to report that I am not short on ideas. I used to keep a dream journal (read: I kept a journal on my night stand and never remembered to write in it) but since the launch I am bursting with ideas. I am regularly waking up just as I'm about to drift off to sleep to jot something down so I don't forget it. There are times when falling asleep is actually difficult because I think "Oh man, I could do that with that paper and add that to the design I worked on yesterday."

But, I also don't want to get my site bogged down with things I'm trying to turn out really fast that lack in style and quality because I feel pressured to get things made like, now, and get them listed. The key: work smarter, not harder. Take my time when sketching out an idea. Take my time when making a sample. And I think overall: this is a marathon! Not a sprint. There's no need for me to have to start with 15 or 20 items.

It's fun and exhausting and overall I am feeling really encouraged in myself which in turn makes me excited to keep crafting and making and doing. I like the idea of putting a lot of hard work in to something to create a beautiful and bespoke gift that someone would be happy to have in their home.

I'm also surprised at how creative I can be and I'm really loving trying my best to be original. You'd be amazed at how difficult that can be - or maybe not if you've scrolled through Etsy. There's so much that's so similar (and by no means am I truly unique) but it's fun researching an idea and having that moment "Aha! Here's something that gives my item a bit of an edge."

So here's to filling up that dream journal with something a bit more grounded in reality!

What I'm Working On
I recently bought some metallic gold paper and I love it. I can see myself using it quite a bit as it really adds some glitz and glamour.

I'm not sure exactly how I'll be framing this but I think I'm going to try it out in a Vintage Grey 8 x 8 (if you can't tell, I love these frames). It may need something a bit more bold though so maybe I'll go with black. Or white. I don't know yet!





No comments:

Post a Comment